I was born and raised in California. I lived there all my life until 2008, when I was 52 years old. At that point, it got way too expensive for me to live there so I moved to Oregon. However, California is home. It will always be home. Here are 5 things I miss about California and 5 things I don’t miss about California.
Things I Miss
1. My daughter. She lives in Santa Rosa and I don’t get to see her enough or often. She’s my baby, my youngest.
2. Family. My mom and my three sisters live in California. So do some cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. I miss them all.
3. Having history with places in California that will always identify me as a “California girl”.
4. Incredibly good weather most of the year.
5. Fruit. Fresh fruit can be found in abundance in California and because it is so plentiful, it is a lot cheaper in California than up here in Oregon. The fruits I miss most: apricots, peaches, plums, oranges
Things I Don’t Miss
1. Traffic. Traffic can be unbelieveably stressful in many metropolitan areas, and even less populated areas.
2. Sales tax. We don’t have sales tax in Oregon and you don’t realize what a chunk of your dollar it takes until you go back to California for a visit and have to deal with 9% or more tax.
3. Film crews. When I lived in southern California, it was not rare to go to the park or the zoo or even the grocery store and have areas blocked off because “they are filming there”. There was one house on my street that was used often for different movies so at least for a few days every three or so months, my street was blocked off and I would have to back up and get home through another street. Not fun.
4. Pretentious people. Yeah, especially in southern California. They’re all over. ‘Nuff said.
5. Incredibly good weather most of the year. (Yeah, I know I said I missed that but sometimes too much of a good thing is just too much!)